Monday, March 30, 2009

40 Days Until Planting Day

Growing up I lived in a house that sat on a quarter acre of property. My parents loved gardening, yard work, and creating a beautiful yard. I hated gardening, yard work, and anything that made me be outside.


Outside was yucky, being outside in the summer makes you sweat. I hated getting my hands dirty, gardening makes your hands dirty. I hated weeding, mowing the lawn, planting flowers, all of it in my book was the pits.

Every spring and summer my parents and I had a deal. Saturday when they headed outside to work in the yard I stayed inside and worked. I thought it was a sweet deal. I thought they were all suckers. Sweating, dirty hands, grass clippings. Yuck, yuck, and more yuck!



Now that I'm all grown up I have had an obvious change of heart. Housework equals yuck, yuck and more yuck. Give me the garden, sun, sweat, and summer any day. Let the sun kiss my face, let heat warm the winter right out of me, let the garden renew my spirit.


There are times when I am with my mom and dad and we are talking about gardening or exercise or the fact I teach swim lessons that I see a dumb founded expression cross over their faces. The kind of look that says, "Who are you and what did you do with our daughter?"


It is kind of interesting, this getting older business, I look in the mirror and see the wrinkles starting to form, the grey hair at my temples, and I just cringe. When did that happen? Then I go out into my garden and see the flowers popping up and smile.



Ahh, the reason for the wrinkles.


Smiling.

Anyway if any of you have an explanation for the obvious change of heart feel free to hypothesise. Meanwhile I have some flowers that need transplanting. Hope you enjoy the flowers progress. My front room is turning into a jungle.


No comments:

Post a Comment