Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sewing Patches

This birthday my son turned 11 and in my world and his world that means that he moves from cub scouts to the world of scouting.

Let me tell you the very first thing that I learned as a mom of an 11 year old scout.

This is a whole new world of boy. Boy stuff that leaves us moms with question marks and a few of @#$!@# these floating in our brain. There is a whole language associated with scouting not to mention a whole new way to spend money. You thought those video games were expensive just wait until you go by a scout shirt.

Scout shirt, a badge, a few more badges, oh and don't forget the . . . the list goes on. Once you recover from the shock of the amount money you just dropped on Scouting you get the joy and the privilege of sewing all of those doo hickeys onto said shirt.

Adding insult to injury, while my son is trying to earn merit badges and a host of other things that I don't understand and feel their is a strong possibility I don't care to understand, there is no merit badge or award for me having to figure out where all these thingys go and sewing them on correctly.



Frustration, thy name is Scout Badges. Finally, I'm getting to the reason why this is on this blog. After sewing and unpicking and resewing I finally figured out how to sew the buggers on and keep them in place.



Friend, thy name is Tacky Glue. That is right I took a handy dandy bottle of tacky glue and glued all those badges into place. After an hour I sewed everything down. Nothing moved and if I do say so myself it looked great.





Oh I hear some of you saying why didn't I just by the things that make it so you can iron on the badges? Because that stuff does not wash well. In fact when the lady at the scout office tried to sell me the iron on magic badge junk. I specifically asked, "How does it hold up in the wash?" She answered by telling me how easy it was to adhere the patches, so I asked her again, "How does it hold up in the wash?" She answered by telling me how many patches I could iron on per package. After that I decided to just sew them on.

All I have left to say is Tacky Glue may help me survive this scouting world.


No comments:

Post a Comment